Cubs Related: A Chicago Cubs Podcast
The most recent and relevant Cubs news highlighted by die-hard fans Brendan Miller (@CubsRelated) and Corey Freedman (@CFCubsRelated). Episodes after every series no matter what and weekly episodes in the offseason.
- 10:00 Joc Pederson vs. Kyle Schwarber
- 21:00 Nolan Arenado to the Cardinals
- 44:00 Trevor Williams' unique features that make sense for Cubs
- 57:20 Kohl Stewart "off-the-charts" Statcast metrics
- Kyle Hendricks named Opening Day starter
- Kyle Hendricks' curveball
- Cubs second base priorities stated
- Latest updates from Cubs summer camp
- Cubs bullpen candidates impress including Duane Underwood Jr. and Casey Sadler
- Debate over Craig Kimbrel optimism
- Cubs play intrasquad games
- Kris Bryant talks extension
- Jose Quintana injures thumb
- Burl Carraway joins the episode to discuss his spin rate, technology, and excitement
- Cubs summer camp rosters announced
- MLB announced 2020 opening day for around July 24
- Gut reaction to what a 60-game season means for the Cubs
- Greg Huss of the Growing Cubs podcast joins to break down the 2020 MLB draft
- MLB season in jeopardy after Rob Manfred lies to the baseball industry
- Reaction to ESPN's 'Long Gone Summer'
- Dexter Fowler, Theo Epstein, and Cubs' support of Black Lives Matter
- Pessimism surrounding MLB's return this season
- MLB outlined their procedures to mitigate a COVID outbreak
- Gut reaction to the Cubs' chances in a rules-shifting season
- We discuss Kris Bryant's training plans, COVID-19, and hitting philosophy with Mike Bryant
- MLB owners agree on a plan to start the season in July
- The Korean Baseball Organization will be televised in the US
- Trevor Plouffe says MLB to begin Spring Training on June 10
- Remembering when Kyle Hendricks shut down the Cardinals with 81 pitches
- Jeff Passan reports that MLB returning this season is likely
- Details about possible schedules, including a giant tournament
If you had to pick only one, what Cubs era would you most like to see in a documentary decades from now?
- Jon Lester and Mike Napoli's take on Cubs '16 World Series experience
- Ian Happ's spectacular content
- MLB's "Arizona or bust" proposal
- Which Cubs player will have his number retired next?
- Javy Báez and José Berríos are quarantined
- MLB is seeking a restart similar to the Korea Baseball Organization
- Latest updates on COVID-19 as of April 2nd evening
- How Corey and Brendan became Cubs fans
- Brennen Davis joins to talk about the Cubs' hitting infrastructure technology, plate approach, success, and development
- Reflecting on what would've been Opening Day
- Who would be on the Cubs Mount Rushmore (Theo Epstein era)?
- Brief updates on COVID-19 and the Cubs
- Revisiting the 2016 NLDS and NLCS
- Cubs projections in a shortened season
- Reliving Game 1 of the 2016 NLDS
- Alec Mills' curveball and sinker
- Jon Lester's cutter spin efficiency
- Nico Hoerner's timeline and plate discipline
- Craig Kimbrel's second spring appearance
- Craig Kimbrel's spring debut
- Yu Darvish's fastball spin efficiency improvement
- Tyler Chatwood's hopeful cutter
- P.J. Higgins as potential 26th man
- Yu Darvish's 98 mph spring debut
- Update on bullpen candidates
- David Bote's noticeable adjustments
- Kris Bryant will be the Opening Day leadoff hitter (and for sometime thereafter)
- Albert Almora's visibly different new swing
- Many Cubs bullpen arms make spring debut
- Cubs position players report to camp
- Kris Bryant addresses grievance and desire to stay with Cubs
- Javy Báez discusses team's lack of preparation in 2018 and 2019
- Jason Kipnis signs with Cubs
- Tyler Chatwood appears to be likely fifth starter
- Tommy Hottovy's report on the new pitch lab infrastructure
- Brandon Morrow status for Opening Day
- Willson Contreras' comments on trade rumors
- Kris Bryant's grievance loss
- Reaction to Pedro Strop signing with the Reds
- Cubs infield depth
- Cubs first MLB signings of offseason
- Nick Castellanos' departure
- David Ross' clean shaven look
- David Ross addresses media at Cubs Con
- Theo Epstein speaks about Kris Bryant trade rumors
- Anthony Rizzo voices his opinion about contract extension
- Cubs settle arbitration salaries
- Tom Ricketts' handling of Cubs public image
- Nolan Arenado Cubs rumors
- Anthony Rizzo's trade anniversary
- Jon Lester and Kris Bryant's birthdays
- Balancing pessimism and optimism
- Second base and centerfield voids
- Key moments of the decade
- Goals of "resetting" the luxury tax by slashing payroll
- Cubs' WAR total already tops in NL Central
- Look back on best decade regular season moments
- Theo's comments about potential for few moves
- Anthony Rizzo's stalled extension talks
- Roster depth
- Kris Bryant trade rumors and grievance resolution
- Willson Contreras trade rumors
- The need to move money to make a deal
- Nick Castellanos as a free agent priority
- Addison Russell non-tendered
- Albert Almora tendered
- Kevin Pillar, Kevin Gausman, Jose Peraza, and Blake Treinen among notable names non-tendered
- Kevin Rizzo
- Jharel Cotton Acquisition
- Cubs targeting Whit Merrifield
- Comfort level trading certain Cubs
- Christian Yelich is a prick
- Yu Darvish is thankful for past failures
- Javy Báez extension talks start
- Albert Almora's role in 2020
- Yu Darvish's Twitter game
- Coaching hires
- Willson Contreras and Kris Bryant trade rumors
- World series nostalgia
- Cubs decline several player options
- Cubs 2020 payroll projections
- Free agency begins
- David Ross' introductory press conference
- Kris Bryant's grievance case against Cubs
- Important deadlines immediately after the World Series ends
- Gut reactions to the David Ross hire
- Ross' in-game managerial philosophies
- Reasons Ross was chosen over Espada
- Cubs three-year pennant anniversary
- Joe Espada's second interview
- Cubs massive front office overhaul
- Cubs manager search
- Joe Espada's interview
- Carlos Beltran's declining Cubs interview
- Theo Epstein's end-of-season press conference
- Cubs started interviewing potential managers
- Mark Loretta said Cubs need more structure
- Joe Girardi scheduled for an interview
- Joe Maddon's departure
- David Ross' managerial candidacy
- Front office failures
- Hundreds of millions of dollars lost in development
- Theo Epstein's thoughts about missing the playoffs
- Instant reaction to last season series at Wrigley Field
- Frustration over losing Reds series
- Cardinals four-game series preview
- 47-run franchise series record
- Anthony Rizzo's ankle injury
- 2 game division deficit
- Theo Epstein's comments about Cubs' underachieving season
- Nico Hoerner's MLB debut
- Cubs' blown chances against Padres
- Emotions of Cubs falling 4.5 games back of St. Louis
- Javy Báez's fractured thumb
- Kris Bryant's lingering knee injury
- Joe Maddon's decisions
- Willson Contreras and Ben Zobrist's return
- Kris Bryant's knee injury
- Kyle Schwarber's adjustment that led to hot stretch
- Milwaukee Brewers series preview
- Ben Zobrist (on 7 others) back
- Cubs shutout in final two games of Brewers series
- Jason Heyward's massive slump
- Yu Darvish and Javy Báez's injury
- Fan confidence
- Yu Darvish's 8-inning gem and new curveball
- Javy Báez's hot bat against the Mets
- Kyle Schwarber's opposite-field approach
- Cubs bullpen picture
- Milwaukee Brewers series preview
- Javy Báez's slump
- Anthony Rizzo's back injury
- Willson Contreras' effect on offense
- Upcoming Mets series
- Anthony Rizzo's power
- Clutch Kris Bryant's game-winning homer
- Cubs 12-11 "season-defining" win
- Nicholas Castellanos' love for the Cubs
- Yu Darvish breaking MLB history
- Kyle Hendricks' lecture
- Jose Quintana's improvements
- Anthony Rizzo's power
- Albert Almora's demotion
- Bullpen injury updates
- Yu Darvish's excellent 92-pitch outing
- Joe Maddon's bullpen management
- Cubs persisting roster problems
- The Statcast era and the Cubs
- Clutch Kris Bryant
- Cole Hamels post-injury
- Our confidence in Cubs starting pitching
- Rowan Wick and Duane Underwood Jr.'s bullpen roles
- Steve Cishek's injury
- Ian Happ's grand slam
- Kyle Schwarber's last 50 plate appearances
- Craig Kimbrel and Brandon Kintzler's injuries
- Jon Lester's dud
- Reds series preview
- Jason Heyward's success at leadoff
- Yu Darvish's ace-like outings
- Willson Contreras' injury and Cubs catching depth
- Ben Zobrist's games in South Bend Class A
- Joe Maddon's decisions not matching his talk
- Strong starting pitching
- Cubs road series woes
- Corey and Brendan venting
- Trade deadline chaos
- Nick Castellanos' role
- Tony Kemp's utility
- David Phelp's post-surgery performance
- Carl Edwards Jr.'s need for a change of scenery
- Kyle Schwarber's two-homer game
- Ian Happ's promotion
- Looming trade deadline
- Upcoming vital series against the St. Louis Cardinals
- Addison Russell's demotion
- Kris Bryant's injury update
- Albert Almora batting fifth
- Cubs bullpen depth
- Cubs targeting Nicholas Castellanos and Shane Greene
- Albert Almora, David Bote, and Addison Russell's miscues
- Ian Happ's timeline
- Joe Maddon feelings that Addison Russell needs to "straighten things out"
- San Francisco Giants series preview
$10 OFF your SeatGeek purchase for any event (e.g., sports games, concerts, etc.) by using promo code CUBSRELATED.
- Yu Darvish's first win at Wrigley field
- Kris Bryant's clutch hits against Reds
- Albert Almora batting leadoff
- Adbert Alzolay injured
Corey goes solo for a quick special edition to provide a reaction to the news that Mike Montgomery was traded to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for catcher Martín Maldonado, as well as Willson Contreras hitting the injured list. Never forget, Mike Montgomery was on the mound when the Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series.
- Jon Lester's homer and winning effort against Pirates
- Yu Darvish's ace-like attitude
- Jason Heyward's consistently good offense
- Schwarber's role at leadoff
- Reds series preview
- Starting pitching depth
- Yu Darvish's command
- Injury updates
- Bullpen needs
- Recap of Cubs top offensive performers
- First-half positives
- Kris Bryant's pace to match MVP year and numbers with runners in scoring position
- Likelihood that Heyward continues quality offense
- Adbert Alzolay's changeup
- Nico Hoerner's timeline and increased power
- Brailyn Marquez's future as a starting pitcher
- Miguel Amaya's ability to play above his age
- Brennen Davis' imminent rise to top of prospect leaderboard
- Cubs' pitching development philosophy
- Joe Maddon's harsh words about offense lacking "edge"
- Transactional solutions for the offense
- Reactions to the first half
- Theo Epstein's harsh words about the losing streak
- Joe Maddon's hot seat
- Cubs answering with a win in the last game of their series against the Pirates
- White Sox series preview
- Daniel Descalso's performance is worse than replacement level, but he keeps playing
- Cubs lack of hitting with runners in scoring position
- Jason Heyward is on fire
- Pirates series preview
- Craig Kimbrel's Cubs debut and save
- Willson Contreras and Javy Báez named All-Star starters
- Tyler Flowers acts like a putz and gets in confrontation with Contreras
- Cubs offensive inconsistencies persist
1. Adbert Alzolay's impressive MLB debut
2. Javy Báez's three-run homer to salvage Mets series split
3. Bullpen with Kimbrel arriving soon and Brad Brach struggling
4. Braves series preview
- Adbert Alzolay called up and likely to make MLB debut against the New York Mets
- Willson Contreras' grand slam to propel Cubs towards split with White Sox
- Kyle Schwarber's aggressive approach at leadoff
- Jon Lester's 114-pitch outing
- Bottom of the order's contribution to inconsistent offense
- Yu Darvish's excellent outing against the Dodgers
- Anthony Rizzo's clutch two-run blast that gave the Cubs a 2-1 win
- Adbert Alzolay tearing through AAA and potential spot start approaching
- Addison Russell's offensive struggles
- Cubs positional player depth
- Series preview against the Chicago White Sox
- Cole Hamels' successful stretch
- Cubs/Rockies exchanging hit by pitches
- Javy Báez's pimp-job homer
- Dodgers series preview
- Cubs sweeping the now below .500 St. Louis Cardinals
- Cole Hamels brilliant 10K outing
- Jon Lester's rebound outing in the second game of the series
- Kyle Schwarber continuing to perform at leadoff
- Jon Lester themed trip
- Carlos Gonzalez's Cubs debut
- Signing of Craig Kimbrel
- Yu Darvish's impressive outing
- Continued success by starting rotation
Corey is joined by Evan Altman, EIC of CubsInsider.com, to for an instant reaction to the Cubs signing Craig Kimbrel. The regular episode breaking down the Angels/Rockies games will air normally after the Rockies series, but the signing of Kimbrel necessitated an emergency episode!
- Poor offense against Cardinals
- Lack of hitting with runners in scoring position
- Craig Kimbrel rumors
- Strong pitching performances by Quintana, Darvish, and Hamels
- Kris Bryant's return from a scary collision with Jason Heyward
- Kyle Schwarber's stability atop the lineup and its effects
- David Bote's two-homer game and hot stretch
- Albert Almora's power
- Jon Lester and Cole Hamels' recent poor outings
- St. Louis Cardinals series preview
$10 OFF your SeatGeek purchase for any event (e.g., sports games, concerts, etc.) by using promo code CUBSRELATED.
- Cubs defensive mishaps
- Yu Darvish's 108-pitch, 7+ inning outing against the Reds
- Updates to Kris Bryant's injury
- Reds recap
- Astros preview
- Jake Arrieta's return to Wrigley Field
- Javy Báez's walk-off hit
- Yu Darvish's solid outing
- Kyle Schwarber's success at leadoff
- Albert Almora's hot stretch
- Kris Bryant's three-homer game
- Kyle Schwarber's role as a leadoff man
- David Bote, Addison Russell, and Daniel Descalso at second base
- Steve Cishek and the bullpen
- Philadelphia Phillies series preview (Jake Arrieta Monday night!)
- Yu Darvish's 11 strikeout outing against the Reds
- Kyle Hendricks' third consecutive spectacular start
- Jason Heyward's slump
- Cubs leadoff spot
- Kyle Schwarber's recent patience
- Upcoming series against the Washington Nationals
- Cubs/Brewers and Cubs/Cardinals rivalries
- Jon Lester's MLB best ERA and another clutch performance
- Kris Bryant's hot stretch
- Appreciation for Willson Contreras
Use promo code CUBSRELATED for $10 off your Seat Geek purchase.
Topics include Kris Bryant Anthony Rizzo's scorching stretch, injury updates to Pedro Strop and Mike Montgomery, Yu Darvish, and other roster moves.
This is one of those episodes, folks. The Cubs just swept the Cardinals. Corey and Brendan touch on every topic related to the Cardinals smackdown (e.g., Javy Baez, Kris Bryant, Willson Contreras, Kyle Hendricks, Jose Quintana, and the bullpen.
Topics include the scorching Cubs offense -- Willson Contreras, Javy Báez, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, and Kyle Schwarber, in particular, are highlighted -- and the upcoming series at Wrigley Field where the Chicago Cubs take on the St. Louis Cardinals for NL Central division ground.
Topics include Kris Bryant and David Bote's scorching series in the desert and Tyler Chatwood's heroic efforts to seal off a series victory against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
$10 OFF your SeatGeek purchase for any event (e.g., sports games, concerts, etc.) by using promo code CUBSRELATED.
Topics include Javy Báez's hot start to the season (on pace for +55 homers), Jason Heyward's encouraging stretch, and highlights from the Cubs' series victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Topics include a live reaction to David Bote walking the Cubs off, discussion about Kyle Hendricks' vintage outing against the DBacks, and injury updates for Brandon Morrow and Jon Lester.
Topics include Jose Quintana's top-tier whiff rate, Cole Hamels' exceptional command, Javy Baez's hot stretch, and Willson Contreras' league-best power numbers.
Evan Altman of CubsInsider.com joins Corey and Brendan to discuss the state of the Cubs bullpen (i.e., possible solutions and source of problems), Willson Contreras' hot stretch, and Kris Bryant's slump.
Topics include Jason Heyward's hot start to the 2019 season, Victor Caratini's hand injury, and the lower portion of the batting order doing damage.
Listeners of Cubs Related: A Chicago Cubs podcast can use promo code CUBSRELATED for $10 off your SeatGeek purchase -- sports events, concerts, whatever event you want to attend.
Topics include Carl Edwards Jr.'s demotion and Mike Montgomery's injury that brought Allen Webster and Kyle Ryan to the bigs. Corey and Brendan also talk about the series loss to the Milwaukee Brewers just ahead of Opening Day at Wrigley Field.
Use promo code CUBSRELATED for $10 off your first SeatGeek purchase (seatgeek.com).
Topics include the Cubs disastrous 1-5 start, lack of a bullpen, encouraging offensive trends, and our level of confidence for the rest of the season.
Topics include the Rangers series recap, a breakdown of the Cubs offense in its first three games, bullpen struggles, and a preview of the upcoming Braves series.
It's back, folks. Topics include a complete Chicago Cubs series preview of the Texas Rangers series, trends that Corey and Brendan are monitoring, final roster spots, and bold predictions.
Michael Cerami of Bleacher Nation joins Brendan and Corey to preview the 2019 season. Topics include Ian Happ's demotion, predictions for the 2019 season, thoughts on the 2018-2019 offseason, Javy Baez's projections, Kyle Schwarber's improvements, and Albert Almora's opportunity.
Topics include extensions for young Cubs players, Darvish's blister, and injury updates to the bullpen.
Topics include Albert Almora and David Bote's encouraging start to Spring Training -- and more importantly what their roles could look like if they have successful starts this season -- as well as updates of Brandon Morrow and Pedro Strop's injuries.
Topics include Pedro Strop's minor hamstring injury and the rest of the Chicago Cubs bullpen now that a few others have experienced setbacks.
Topics include Willson Contreras' powerful Spring Training, Nico Hoerner's impressive stretch with the big-league club, and David Bote's role when Addison Russell returns from suspension.
Topics include the back of the bullpen -- specifically Tyler Chatwood, Dillon Maples, and Carl Edwards Jr. -- the opening day rotation, and encouraging trends from this week in Spring Training.
Topics include Yu Darvish's optimism about his first two Spring Training Starts, the recap of the starting rotation spring debuts, and the offense's strong start.
Cubs.com beat writer Jordan Bastian joins the episode to talk about his thoughts from the first week of Spring training. Joe Maddon's "millennial" attitude, Anthony Iapoce's batting drills, and Kris Bryant's "revenge tour" are discussed.
Topics include first impressions from Spring Training (e.g., David Bote, Yu Darvish, etc.), Jon Lester's leadership role, and the PECOTA projections.
Topics include the proposed rule changes (pitch clock, NL DH, etc.) and pitchers/catchers reporting to Mesa on February 13.
Topics include the Cubs minor bullpen additions, Yu Darvish's health, and disrespect towards Rizzo.
Topics include the recent signings of Brad Brach, George Kontos, and Junichi Tazawa -- how they fit in the bullpen -- and the state of the Cubs farm system now that many prospects are getting recognition.
Topics include Theo Epstein and Tom Rickett's answers to payroll questions at Cubs con and why there's still so much to be excited about going into Spring Training.
Topics include the recent rumor connecting David Bote to the Padres and all arb-eligible players agreeing to deals.
Topics include Theo's recent interview with 670 The Score and wishing a happy, healthy birthday to Jon Lester and Kris Bryant.
Evan Altman, the boss of CubsInsider.com, joins Brendan and Corey to look back on the 2018 season and share some of their favorite moments. They also talk Tony Rizzo's wedding and update on the current state of the offseason.
Topics include the recent reports connecting the Cubs to Bryce Harper, the reasons to be excited about not just 2019 but the next three years as well, and ranking the top homers from the 2016 season.
Topics include David Ross and Mark DeRosa's candidacy for the new Cubs bench coach vacancy, as well as the report that Kris Bryant's offseason regime sounds like his shoulder injury is a thing of the past.
Topics include the recent reports that Kyle Schwarber is not available and that the Cubs are "in" on Bryce Harper.
Topics include the rumor of JT Realmuto and Willson Contreras' future.
Topics include Jim Hickey stepping down, the potential replacements, and free agent salary projections.
Topics include the recent report that the Cubs are in the mix for Bryce Harper, and Jon Lester finishes 4th in Cy Young voting and Javy Baez finishes 2nd in MVP voting.
Topics include the ridiculous, nonsensical trade rumors surrounding Kris Bryant, Jim Hickey's possible departure, and Joe Maddon's contract not being extended.
Topics include the numerous reports that the Cubs don't have the money to land Harper or Machado.
Topics include the 2019 Cubs payroll, which is likely to be higher than the luxury tax threshold.
Topics include the new Cubs hitting coach Anthony Iapoce and Joe Maddon's agent emphasizing Maddon wants an extension.
Cubs top prospect Dakota Mekkes talks with CubsInsider.com's Evan Altman about the big pitcher's future, mindset, and successful year with AA and AAA.
Topics include the firing of Chili Davis and where that positions the Cubs for the offseason.
Topics include the Cubs Wild Card Game loss to the Colorado Rockies, post-mortem reactions, and Theo Epstein's season-ending press conference in which he said the Cubs lacked urgency for 162 games.
The Cubs are in the Wild Card Game. This is a reality.
It's one topic: Game 163 for the NL Central crown. Let's go.
Topics include the huge deal that is the Cubs fourth straight trip to the playoffs, Jon Lester's legend, encouraging player trends, and the upcoming division-deciding series against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Topics include Addison Russell's leave of absence, Kyle Hendricks' vintage performances, and the last week of the regular season.
Topics include the impressive series win against the Diamondbacks, state of the team after enduring 30 straight work days, Montgomery's encouraging performances, and Morrow's injury.
Topics include Joe Maddon's decision to bat Pedro Strop that led to injury, Brandon Morrow and Jason Heyward returning, and the final two weeks of the regular season.
Topics include the series loss to the Brewers, the disconcerting state of the fatigued roster, encouraging trends, and upcoming games against the Nationals and Reds.
Topics include the disaster that is MLB's re-scheduling of the Cubs/Nationals game, Carl Edwards Jr.'s struggles, confidence in the bullpen, and the upcoming pivotal series against the Milwaukee Brewers.
Topics include the Cubs' big-time win against the Brewers to avoid the sweep, Morrow's cloudy return, and Willson Contreras' framing and blocking woes.
Topics include Javy Baez's 30 HR milestone, Kris Bryant's return, and Addison Russell's disappointing season.
Topics include David Bote's role once Kris Bryant returns from his rehab stint, Ian Happ and Albert Almora's struggles, and the state of the bullpen with Morrow's future still in question.
Topics include Kris Bryant's health and recent mechanical change, the Cubs five-game winning streak, and what to do with the lineup once Bryant is back.
Topics include the Daniel Murphy acquisition, Yu Darvish's season-ending stress reaction, update on injuries for KB and Morrow, and the general lack of recent offense.
Topics include Yu Darvish leaving his rehab start early, encouraging outings from starting pitching staff against Pirates, and state of bullpen if Morrow doesn't return 100%.
Topics include Jose Quintana's disappointing stretch in which his whiff rate is at an all-time low, Rizzo's hot stretch, and the bullpen's consistency.
Corey goes solo for this one as he breaks down all the action from the series with Washington this past weekend. Topics include David Bote's walk-off grand slam on Sunday Night Baseball, the incredible atmosphere at Wrigley Field, Jon Lester's continued struggles, and Cole Hamels looking spectacular.
Topics include Cole Hamels, Mike Montgmoery, some struggling Cubs batters, and the 4-3 stretch against two last place teams.
Topics include the Cubs splitting against the Padres and Addison Russell's odd power outage.
Topics include the Cubs acquisition of Brandon Kintzler and how their pitching now compares to the Brewers.
Topics include the struggling pitching rotation, Chatwood's demotion to the bullpen, and ESPN's blasting of Yu Darvish.
It's the Cole Hamels podcast. Topics include the new Cubs lefty, a wild walk-off win against the DBacks, and injury updates on Darvish, Bryant, and Morrow.
Topics include the flurry of pitching updates (Darvish, Smyly, Chavez, trade targets, etc.) and Rizzo's hot series against the .500 St Louis Cardinals.
Evan Altman of CubsInsider.com and Corey break down the first half in detail, discuss Schwarber's home run derby, and preview what's to come in the second half.
Topics include Javy Baez's remarkable first-half numbers, Cardinals' firing of Mike Matheny, and the Cubs hot stretch going into the all-star break.
Topics include Kyle Hendricks' phenomenal start -- perhaps his most encouraging outing since last season -- and Anthony Rizzo's unusual, elongated struggles.
Topics include the all-star selections for Javy Baez, Willson Contreras, and Jon Lester, as well as injury updates on Kris Bryant and Yu Darvish.
Evan Altman of CubsInsider.com talks with Mike Bryant, father of Cubs MVP, about batting mechanics and the "launch angle" revolution.
Last time the Cubs scored this many runs in consecutive games was in the 1930s. Topics include this spectacular offensive stretch and an in-depth look at the pitching rotation.
Topics include Javy Baez's domination of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Maddon's usage of his outfielders, and the upcoming stretch against several sub 500 teams.
Topics include the brutal sweep by the Reds, offensive woes, KB's injury, and upcoming series against the Dodgers.
Topics include the Cubs impressive defense and offensive numbers, the loser Los Angeles Dodgers, and what Theo said about a six-man rotation when Darvish comes back.
Topics include Darvish's optimistic return timeline, the Cubs bullpen, and the horrid start to Wade Davis' season (and comparing it to Morrow's spectacular start to the season).
Topics include the Cubs' recent offensive woes, Kris Bryant's unusual slump, and Montgomery's consistent quality starts.
Topics include the Cubs rest of season projections, Lester's best stretch as a Cub, and the upcoming series against the Brewers.
Topics include the electric Jason Heyward walk-off grand slam against a lefty, Rizzo's hot streak, and the Cubs surge.
Topics include the Cubs four-game sweep of the Mets, impressive performances from unexpected players, and similarities to the 2016 World Series championship team.
Topics include the rise of Anthony Rizzo, Mike Montgomery's stellar start, and Yu Darvish's encouraging MRI result.
Topics include Darvish's injury and MRI scheduled for Tuesday, Chatwood's near 9 BB/9, and Almora's exceptional play (20 UZR/150 so far).
Topics include Maddon's 7th inning questionable decisions during the second game of the Indians series, the lack of offense against the Indians, and Chatwood's poor command.
Topics include Javy Baez's bench-clearing scuffle, Darvish and Quintana's encouraging start, and Happ's rebound.
Topics include the Braves recap, rotation shuffling, and trends worth monitoring ahead of this weekend's set against the Reds.
Topics include the tear Willson Contreras went on, Kris Bryant's near perfect play, and the offensive spike over the last week.
Topics include the offensive explosion during the Cubs' sweep of the Marlins and Maddon's comments regarding lineup construction.
It's one of those podcasts. Corey and Brendan vent about the Cubs losing five straight, talk about the weird numbers, and look ahead to the Marlins series.
Topics include the lack of offense, how Maddon might change things going forward, and Yu Darvish's disappointing start. Evan Altman of CubsInsider.com joins Corey and Brendan.
Topics include rumors surrounding Baltimore's Manny Machado, Addison Russell's role with KB and Zobrist back, and the Cubs sweeping the Milwaukee Brewers.
Topics include Theo's praise of Chili Davis and the Cubs newfound approach, nostalgia in Cleveland, and the upcoming series against the Brewers.
Topics discussed include JavyMania, Willson Contreras' dropping F bombs (casually) to the media and talking about Darvish, Jason Heyward's improvements, Almora's superman catches, and the upcoming series in Cleveland.
Corey and Brendan discuss Joe Maddon's comparison of Javy Baez to Manny Ramirez. Maddon also said that Happ will get some time out of the leadoff spot to work on his approach from the left side.
Brendan and Corey discuss Ian Happ struggles at the dish, Cubs insane comeback, and Rizzo's return from the DL.
Clint Hurdle said that Javy Baez and Willson Contreras disrespect baseball. Hurdle, who managed the 2015 team that beaned Jake Arrieta before the Cubs legend finished a complete game shutout, clearly knows about respect...
Ben Zobrist, who looked like his former healthy self, teamed up with Jon Lester to help take three of four against Milwaukee this past weekend. We also have data from the pitching staff's second time through this season. And the Pirates series is previewed ahead of a frigid week in Wrigley.
Corey and Brendan talk about Chatwood's debut -- especially that spin rate -- with the Cubs and the upcoming Brewers series.
Corey and Brendan recap the opening series against the Marlins, breaking down the hitters and pitches during the first and second half of the episode, respectively. Also discussed is the upcoming series against the Reds in which the Cubs will face two young starting pitchers.
Evan Altman of Cubs Insider joins Corey and Brendan to comprehensively break down the Cubs hitting and give their over/under on several players ahead of this week's opening day.
Michael Cerami of Bleacher Nation joins Brendan and Corey to comprehensively break down the entire pitching staff pitcher by pitcher. The trio give their over/under on ZiPS ERA projections and discuss changes pitchers have recently made.
Corey and Brendan compare the Brewers and Cubs starting pitching acquisitions and talk about the recent minor injuries during Spring Training.
Justin Grimm was released by the Cubs. As a result, the Cubs final bullpen spot could go to Anthony Bass, Eddie Butler, Dillon Maples, or an unknown surprise. Corey and Brendan talk about Grimm's replacements and catch you up to date on all Spring Training news.
Jake Arrieta signed with the Phillies for 3 years, $75 M, ending his historical and unprecedented tenure with the Cubs. Corey and Brendan talk about their favorite Jake moments and reflect on the former Cubs ace's accomplishments.
Corey and Brendan discuss Yu Darvish's Spring Training debut against the World Series runner-up Los Angeles Dodgers and Ian Happ's role this upcoming year as he continues to mash.
Len Kasper joins Brendan and Corey to discuss the broadcaster's 14th year in the booth, defense, statistics, and the upcoming season.
Corey and Brendan discuss what they are most excited about and what to look for as Spring Training games begin.
Topics: 1) Ben Zobrist's playing time (13:00), 2) Brandon Morrow announced as closer (22:30), 3) Mike Montomgery cool with role (30:00), and 4) Chili Davis on Jason Heyward (43:30).
Yu Darvish finally signs with the Cubs. About time. Corey and Brendan break down the deal, projected value, Darvish's pitch repertoire, most effective pitches, and much more.
Scott Boras and MLB exchange words, creating a disconcerting inflammatory environment. ZiPS projections have been released and compare the Cubs staff to three of the great pitchers whom we've watched in the last couple of decades.
The Brewers lunge forward by signing Lorenzo Cain and trading their top prospects for Christian Yelich. Despite Milwaukee's notable moves, their win projection is only at 77. Brendan and Corey talk about the Brewers place in the Central and why win projection models might be a bit variable for Milwaukee. And, of course, more Darvish rumors are discussed.
Jason Heyward believes he can be the Cubs 2018 MVP. Brian Duensing signs for two years and $7 M. The commissioner's office wants to impose pace of play changes for the upcoming season, but the MLBPA wants nothing to do with it. Brendan and Corey discuss all these topics as we are only a few weeks away from Spring Training.
The Cubs inked up most of their arbitration-eligible players, including a record-breaking deal for Kris Bryant. Cubs Con gave us several hilarious moments. Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen are traded away from Pittsburgh. Brendan and Corey discuss all this in what was a busy last few days for the Cubs.
Evan Altman, the Editor in Chief of Cubs Insider, joins Corey and me to discuss Arrieta's offers and the upcoming Cubs Convention, in which Evan will be interviewing notable Cubs players.
The Cubs reportedly offered Alex Cobb and Lorenzo Cain contracts. Brendan and Corey discuss their surprising offers and how they fit into the Cubs' payroll plans.
Bruce Levine thinks the Cubs will sign Lorenzo Cain or trade for Christian Yelich. Reports suggest the Cubs are willing to give Arrieta a 4 year, $110 M. And happy birthday to Kris Bryant. Corey and Brendan discuss all of this during the ice cold "hot stove." ?
Wade Davis signed with the Rockies for three years and $52 M, but Darvish's camp is still relatively quiet. Corey and Brendan discuss the current free agent market and, in addition, whether Kris Bryant should be the leadoff guy to start 2018.
Yu Darvish met with the Chicago Cubs earlier in the week, and it appears the Cubs are one of the high-priority suitors for the Japanese ace. Manny Machado hypothetical trade scenarios have been swirling around Cubs twitter, especially with Addison Russell's name involved. And Steve Cishek signed a 2 year, $13 M contract. Brendan and Corey discuss Darvish's potential contract, Addy's value, and the state of the Cubs bullpen.
Mike Montgomery made it clear he wants to start because he thinks it's in the best interest for himself and the team. Brandon Morrow and Drew Smyly were signed to modest contracts. Brendan and Corey discuss all the Winter Meetings news and rumors as it wraps up.
The stove is finally boiling: Cubs sign Chatwood, Ohtani picks the Angels, Stanton traded to the Yanks, and the Winter Meetings begin. Corey and Brendan talk about the Chatwood signing and why Brendan is so excited about the 28-year-old righty, as well as the pitching staff as a whole.
Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs met with Ohtani and his team in-person Tuesday in Los Angeles. Corey and Brendan discuss the meeting, as well as the Hector Rondon and Justin Grimm contract decisions.
Shohei Otani's agency asked teams to fill out a survey in order to persuade the Japanese superstar, which Brendan and Corey answer and discuss on this episode. ?
Corey and Brendan discuss Jake Arrieta and Wade Davis rejecting their 17.4 M qualifying offers and Baseball America's top 10 Chicago Cubs prospects. ?
Alex Cobb sounds as if he really wants to join the Cubs. Otani forgoing money to join MLB. Chris Archer might not actually be on the market. All of these topics are talked about by Corey and Brendan with Cubs Insider's EIC Evan Altman.
Jed Hoyer spoke to the Chicago radio about several topics, including Heyward rumors, 2018-2019 offseason, pitchers, coaches, and more. Corey and Brendan discuss his comments and what they mean ahead of the GM Meetings.
Pitching is a center point for the Cubs this offseason. Fortunately, the starting and relieving free agent class from which to chose is deep. Corey and Brendan break down the names who are the most interesting and try to project what the Cubs can and will do.
Corey and Brendan breakdown which free agents make sense for the Cubs position player core. Lorenzo Cain, Austin Jackson, Alex Avila, and several others are discussed.
Corey and Brendan discuss Dave Martinez's new gig as Nationals manager, highlight the 'Stros and Dodger's bullpen usage in the world World Series (comparing it to Joe Maddon's), and talk about the arguments that Javy should be the shortstop.
Cubs clearing out their coaching is a little surprising. Corey and Brendan recap the news, highlight the new coaches, and figure out what went into the decisions. ?
Corey and Brendan review Theo Epstein's 90-minute press conference in which the Cubs prez laid out the strategy for the offseason. Also discussed is Chris Bosio's "firing" and the changing coaching stuff.
Corey and Brendan record immediately after losing the NLCS, reflecting on the 2017 season and the feeling of losing.
Corey and Brendan try to rationalize Joe Maddon's decisions from the first two games in the NLCS, discuss the next three games in Wrigley, and go off on a rant regarding Dodger Stadium and some fans (53-minute mark).
Corey and Brendan preview the NLCS against the Los Angeles Dodgers: possible pitching rotation, roster, and lineups.
Corey and Brendan react to the Cubs winning game 5 of the NLDS against Dusty Baker's Washington Nationals.
Ryan Davis of Sporting News, FanRag Sports, and Cubs Insider joins Corey, Brendan, and Cubs Insider's EIC Evan Altman to preview the NLDS in great detail. Cubs rotation, Nationals rotation, lineups, rosters, ideal matchups, and bullpen are all topics of interest.
Corey and Brendan review the entire 2017 Cubs season: final numbers, surprising and disappointing performances, and favorite moments.
Corey and Brendan gush about the Chicago Cubs winning the NL Central in St. Louis, highlight the tumultuous ride that led to the division crown, and discuss the fact that the Cubs are getting stronger ahead of the NLDS against the Nationals.
Corey and Brendan review the Cubs' 3-1 series victory over the second-place Milwaukee Brewers, a victory of which sets the Cubs up with an imminent division championship celebration underneath the arches of St. Louis.
Corey and Brendan preview the upcoming four-game set against the Milwaukee Brewers, highlighting each matchup in great detail. Also discussed is Jon Lester's poor start against Tampa Bay and his comments about his health.
The Chicago Cubs sweep the St. Louis Cardinals in defending World Series championship fashion, all while their core guys continue to get healthy and comfortable in daily game action.
Corey and Brendan preview the upcoming pivotal series against the second-place St. Louis Cardinals, highlighting key matchups.
Corey and Brendan sort of vent after the Cubs were swept by the Brewers this past weekend. In particular, the hosts discuss Maddon's lineup decisions -- Schwarber sitting, Heyward not sitting, etc. -- during the series.
Corey and Cubs Insider's Editor in Chief, Evan Altman, discuss Jake Arrieta's cramp-turned-strain hamstring injury and Willson Contreras' imminent return to the lineup. Additionally, both the Pirates series and upcoming Brewers series are highlighted.
Corey and Brendan talk about the Javy Baez injury updates -- all of which are encouraging -- and discuss Jon Lester's first start back since missing time due to arm fatigue.
Corey and Brendan highlight Mike Montgomery and Jose Quintana's starts in the Pittsburgh Pirates sweep, Addison Russell's injury that might be lead to a trade for depth, and the state of the NL central now that the Cubs begin to expand their lead.
Corey and Brendan discuss Tommy La Stella's impressive performance that might get him more playing time, Jose Quintana's underwhelming starts, and Kyle Hendricks' plus start against the Philadelphia
Corey and Brendan review the Reds series, highlighting Jake Arrieta's phenomenal second-half stretch, and discuss the roster construction when most Cubs will be back within two weeks.
Corey and Brendan discuss all things related to Javy Baez: play against Toronto, Michael Jackson like slides, how he fits into roster when Addison Russell is back, and more.
Corey and Brendan imagine life without Jon Lester, highlight several encouraging offensive trends, and touch on some of the troubling bullpen outings. Both the Reds and upcoming Blue Jays series are also reviewed.
Corey and Brendan cover lots from the weekend series against the Arizona Diamondbacks: Ben Zobrist's continuing cold stretch, Schwarber's strike outs, Baez's offensive and defensive play, and the Cubs defense in general. The upcoming series in Chicago against the Cincinnati Reds is previewed to close this episode.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Willson Contreras injury and the tightening of the NL Central.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Carl Edwards Jr. blown game and Maddon's willingness to use him going forward.
Corey and Brendan talk about Joe Maddon's comments regarding future roster construction, particularly about how he is going to be "different." Also discussed are the noteworthy player performances from the DBacks series and the upcoming series against the Nationals.
Evan Altman, Cubs Insider's Editor in Chief, joins Brendan to break down the Cubs trade for Tigers' pitcher Justin Wilson and catcher Alex Avila, while also discussing the state of the Cubs healthy farm system.
Corey and Brendan summarize all the latest Cubs trade rumors and discuss what they would like to see happen, as well as recap the entire Milwaukee Brewers series win and preview the upcoming set against the wild card leading Arizona Diamondbacks.
Evan Altman, EIC of Cubs Insider, joins Brendan and Corey to discuss the Cubs trade rumors and recap the White Sox series win ahead of the Brewers set.
Brendan goes solo in this Cubs Related episode to talk about the Cardinals series, bullpen issues, baseball statistics, and trade deadline targets.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Braves sweep, including Hector Rondon’s trending pitching, Willson’s continuous hot streak, Maddon’s comments regarding Lackey, and other noteworthy statements.
Brendan and Corey review the Orioles sweep and look ahead to the Braves series.
Evan Altman, Cubs Insider Editor in Chief, joins Brendan and Corey to discuss the Jose Quintana trade.
Corey and Brendan review the Cubs' first half -- surprises, encouraging trends, etc. -- and give bold second half predictions.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Verlander trade rumors and whether it makes sense, as well as talk about the Scwhwarber call up.
Corey and Brendan discuss Kyle Schwarber's encouraging adjustments against AAA pitchers, recap the Reds series, and talk about Almora's odd defensive scores and current status with the squad.
After a news-filled four days for the Cubs, Corey and Brendan discuss the Montero DFA, roster construction with injuries, future pitching staff, and recap the Nationals series.
Corey and Brendan recap the Marlins series, highlighting Jake Arrieta, Addison Russell, Ian Happ, Mike Montgomery, and Javy Baez. The two also share updates on the basket of injuries, including Addi's recent shoulder flare up for which he was removed in the final game of the Marlins series.
Corey and Brendan are joined by the Cubs Insider Editor in Chief, Evan Altman, to discuss Kyle Schwarber's demotion to AAA and the state of the Cubs as a whole.
Corey and Brendan discuss the recent series win in Pittsburgh and the basket of injuries.
Corey and Brendan discuss the oddities of the Cubs, center field, and the general struggles.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Cubs four-game winning streak and talk about the variable lineups Joe Maddon is writing.
Corey and Brendan go through the main struggles of the team, discuss Theo's response, and chat about FanGraphs' recent articles about the team.
Corey and Brendan address the concerns over the Cubs recent struggles.
Corey and Brendan sum up the recent four-game series against the Giants and, in particular, discuss a potential reunion with Jeff Samardzija.
Corey and Brendan discuss Ian Happ's influence on the Cubs, particularly permitting Joe Maddon to move Ben Zobrist to leadoff and Kyle Schwarber second.
Corey and Brendan talk about how the Cubs can mix and match players to permit Ian Happ's development. Positives from the recent Reds series is also discussed, as is the forthcoming series against the NL central first place Brewers.
Corey and Brendan comment on the defensive troubles and the general malaisethat have haunted the Cubs early on this year, as well as discuss the quality Eddie Butler start.
Corey and Brendan go over lots of recent Cubs news, including Eddie Butler's first Cubs start on Friday, Candelario's role, Lackey's impressive start, offensive woes, and the upcoming Cardinal's series.
Corey and Brendan recap the Yankees series and, in particular, highlight the atrocity that was Joe West's strike zone. Also discussed are fifth starter options and the upcoming Rockies Series.
Corey and Brendan discuss Javy's expanded strike zone, Schwarber's recent woes, Red Sox series, and the Phillies four-game set.
Corey and Brendan recap the Reds series, discuss Baez and Almora, and preview the upcoming series against the Pirates.
Corey and Brendan discuss the series win over the Brewers and play "concern or not concerned" regarding several Cubs players.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Pirates sweep of the Cubs and, in particular, talk about the first Cubs fandom freak out of the year.
Corey and Brendan recap the Dodgers series and look ahead to the upcoming series against the Pirates.
Corey and Brendan reflect on their experiences of attending the Cubs banner raising ceremony game and discuss this season's first seven games.
Corey and Brendan discuss the events from the Cardinals series and look forward to the Milwaukee set.
Corey and Brendan discuss the opening night loss and preview the rest of the Cardinals series.
Evan Altman, Editor in Chief of Cubs Insider, and Jared Wyllys, Editor in Chief of BP Wrigleyville, joins Corey and Brendan to preview the uppcoming Cubs season. This is a long episode in which we make predictions about top hitters, pitchers, surprises, busts, wins, and more.
John Arguello from Cubs Den talks with Brendan about many of the young lower level Cubs prospects (e.g., Isaac Paredes, Jose Albertos, Jonathan Sierra, etc.), relfects on watching Willson Contreras develops, thinks Eloy Jimenez could continue high contact rate, impressed with Almora's increased pop, and more.
Brendan and Corey talk about Ken Rosenthal's tweet regarding the Cubs wanting to keep Szczur, Rondon's bad WBC, Anderson in the fifth rotational slot, and Javy capturing the world.
Corey and Brendan discuss the World Baseball Classic, particularly Javy Baez gently setting down his bat after hitting a monstrous shot. The two also discuss Ian Happ's hot Spring Training and how the rest of the Cubs prospects fit in with the current squad.
Brendan and Corey discuss the roster competition amonst La Stella, Szczur, and Candelario.
Corey and Brendan talk about the first weekend of Spring Training games, Heyward's first few plate appearances, and the perception of advanced stats.
Brendan and Mike Bryant talk about Kris' rookie scouting report, particularly the reports about how Kris was too quick to his front side.
Brendan and Mike Bryant talk about base running, launch angle, if Bryant prefers in-depth scouting reports, and the trust/validate phase of hitting.
Mike Bryant explains the changes Kris Bryant made that contributed to an MVP year and provides insight into hitting philosophy.
Corey and Brendand discuss the news of Willson Contreras catching Jon Lester, Schwarber catching, and Mike Bryant talks with Brendan on the MVP's changes to his swing.
Corey and Brendan preview Spring Training on the eve of pitchers and catchers reporting.
Corey and Brendan talk about Hammel signing with the Royals, Schwarber's rehab progress, and Kris Bryant's self-criticism.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Cardinals hacking punishment, recent top prospect list releases, non-roster invitees, and more.
Corey, Brendan, and Cubs Insider Editor In Chief, Evan Altman, discuss the Brett Anderson signing. In addition, Evan provides insight to his interviews with Jason McLeod, Jeimer Candelario, and Rob Zastryzny, as well as his experience at the Cubs Convention.
Corey and Brendan summarize the Cubs Con and White House shenanigans and express their thoughts on the Wrigley renovations.
Corey and Brendan discuss their transition to Cubs Insider, outline the forthcoming events at Cubs Con, reflect on Maddon's lineup statement, and talk about other options since Ross signed with Texas.
Corey and Brendan discuss Mike Montgomery's potential value as a starter, the pros and cons of a 6-man rotation, and Tyson Ross' decision between the Cubs and Rangers.
Corey and Brendan reflect on the year the Cubs won the World Series and share their favorite moment of each Cubs player.
Corey and Brendan discuss who should bat leadoff and reflect on the earlier Cubs playoff squads.
Evan Altman of CubsInsider.com joins Corey and Brendan to talk about Fowler's "rebellion," Heyward's progress in Arizona, and the forthcoming Arrieta extension talks.
Corey loves the trade, but Brendan is skeptical about the logic.
Corey and Brendan update the Winter Meetings at the half-way marker: Sale, Melancon, Cutch, Fowler, Soler, Davis, Archer, Ross, De La Rosa (!)
Corey and Brendan discuss Jon Jay's strengths, weaknesses, potential role, and the Cubs' proprietary statistics.
Corey and Brendan discuss potential Dexter Fowler replacements both internally and externally, and, in particular, Charlie Blackmon, who has been connected to the Cubs recently.
Corey and Brendan discuss the Manager of the Year, Cy Young, and MVP awards.
Corey and Brendan discuss Jason Hammel, the bullpen, and potential acquisitions.
Corey, Doug, and Brendan reflect on the Cubs World Series championship. It's a long episode. We answer the question, "In 30-40 years, how will you describe this season when someone asks you to," at the end.
Corey and Brendan review the events of the World Series and preview Game 6.
Isaac Bennett of BP Wrigleyville joins Corey and Brendan to preview the WORLD SERIES (!) against the Indians -- lineups, Schwarber, bullpen usage, and more.